Sunday, August 1, 2010

And so the journey begins..

I've never been good at blogging. My last blog..well, lets just say its been sitting in the dark abyss of internet-land, for over a year. But I'm different now....I'm more mature. Experienced. Cultured.

No, I'm none of those things. But, I AM driven. I have a subject matter this time. Whereas my past blogs were centered around my daily life. Now you understand why they have failed. Anyway, my purpose for this blog: Cosmetology School.

For years and years, out of my 27 years of living, I have told myself that I would go to Cosmetology School. But, life happened. And its still happening. Which made me realize.."now or never".
So, come Sept. 7th I will be a cosmetology student at Excel Academies of Cosmetology. Well....maybe. I have paid my registration fee, but I'm still undecided. Its just such a huge decision. And the resources available for finding a good school, are very hard to come by. So I'm just testing the waters and trying to figure it out myself. I'm 98% sure that I will be attending Excel though. I will work out the other 2% when I look at another school on Tues.

Anyway, until I start school I wont have much to say about new things learned. But I will be posting my knowledge of products/styling techiniques/etc. that I have learned on my own. As well as my ramblings and insecurities about being in school again. Yay, right? Right.

So to kick things off, here are a few of my hair tips/tricks/secrets/whatever you want to call them. All aquired from reading various fashion magazines, websites, books, and trial and error in general:

*Rinse hair in cold water to seal the cuticle and promote shine.
*Never brush soaking wet hair, always use a wide-tooth comb to detangle.
*Comb from the bottom, up. (Seems obvious...but some people...)
*When curling hair, work from the roots to the ends. You dont want a triangle-shaped 'do of ringlets. You dont want the hair to be heated un-evenly either (and in doing so, frying your already dried-out ends).
*Curly hair does not need to be and should not be, washed everyday (well there ARE some exceptions). Some say once or twice a week is good, some say once or twice a month. I say go with what works/looks/smells best to you. Condition inbetween, and add a protein treatment once in a while.
*When curling hair, locking in the curl is not done by wrapping section around iron, blasting it with hairspray, and then releasing it. First you spray the entire section of hair (and we'll get to specific products later) BEFORE wrapping it around the iron. And then upon releasing the section, you pin it into place to let it cool- that is where it gets most of its hold. Release when cooled.
*This is a makeup tip: Dont rub youre concealer on! If its under-eye concealer, dab it on gently with your ring finger. If its concealer for a blemish, DOT it on gently with a small pointy makeup brush, or q-tip.

Ok...thats enough of my "wisdom", for now. If you have any questions that are beauty-related (and keep questions limited to that category, cause I dont know jack about anything else) feel free to ask! This whole thing is basically a way for me to remember the things I have learned, by sharing them with others. So if you have something to share as well, by all means- please do! And I also need a place to complain about my annoying classmates and incompetent instructor...I'm just preparing for the worst here. Its how I do. :)

Later my hair-brained friends! (Eventually I will run out of "witty" hair-based puns, dont worry.)

3 comments:

  1. *Also, because its bugging me, I'm going to add upon my concealer tip. After you "dot" the concealer onto your zit/pimple, blend it by gently placing your ring finger (always use your ring finger, it doesnt over-blend like your index finger does) onto the concealed area and letting the warmth of your finger "melt" the concealer. Then gently dab it until no lines are visible. Proceed with finishing powder if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe...Jessie, I love the blog name. I cant wait to see your tips. You are already so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Becca, I hope youre right!! Or else school is gonna suuuuuuck!! Haha:)

    ReplyDelete