Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Typical woman...cant make up her mind!

Today I visited another cosmetology school, Regency Beauty Institute. I went in with my eyes shielded from all the pretty, shiny things. (Figuratively, of course. I'd look extremely stupid stumbling my way through the tour with my eyes covered. I'd get hurt too.) I didnt want to be distracted by modern layout or updated equipment. Because although those things ARE nice and helpful, theyre not as important as a well educated instructor (to me anyway). The person who gave me my tour, was actually an instructor. I LOVED her hair. 1 point for Regency. She showed me their station area, the facial rooms, and the pedi/mani area. All of which were extremely nice. But my thoughts were, "hmph! think you can win me over with nice lighting and modern furniture?!" ...but then....it happened. Slowly, I was being won over. Not by the lighting or furniture though. By her damned well presented information on class structure and courses. The other school (the one I am currently registered at) didnt explain much to me during the tour. They showed me the rooms, briefly explained what went on in them, and that was pretty much it. Their facial room sucks too, btw. One chair, no "relaxation decor" and ugly bright lights. Anyway..
So she was very helpful and very nice. Not overly nice or disgustingly peppy...but just the right amount of nice. By the time I was done, I was almost entirely sure that I wanted to switch schools. I couldnt wait!! And then, I came home..did another "review" search online...now I'm back to being unsure. I dont know HOW I am supposed to decide which school is better, simply from being a prospective student, with lots of questions. So I'm gonna lay out some of the pros and cons, right here. Right now.

Excel Pros: $9,000+ tuition, dismissal time at 4:30 (giving me a headstart on beating rush hour), been in business for as long as I can remember- in my area(they have a few other schools in Michigan and Illinnois..or is it Indiana? I dunno), Milady curriculum (bought my books on my own, saving me hundreds..but Regency uses Salon Fundementals), no negative reviews online, product lines that I like, never had a terrible cut or color from them, aaaand...thats all I really know, since I didnt talk with any instructors
Excel Cons: Waiting area is out of date and really small, clinic floor is plain and simple..nothing new or modern about it, no financial aid, no clinic floor makeup, pedi areas and facial areas are poorly designed and not inviting or relaxing, junior learning is all in one area (no phases like Regency), instructors and admissions rep didnt seem eager to explain how and when things are taught, not many reviews (good OR bad) since its not a national school

Regency Pros: trendy and inviting client waiting area, state of the art equipment (including european style wash bowls!), mimicks a higher end salon for both student and customer benefit, instructors and campus manager seem genuinely nice (even though its their JOB to play me like that), student incentive program, different phases/rooms as your education progresses, accepts financial aid, clock-in is at 9:15...so I can sleep in a little, and a few other things that I dont want to write, since this is already too long.
Regency Cons: tuition is $18,000 (give or take a few hundred), have found some negative reviews online (but for various campuses...and then again, people rarely put GOOD reviews online. We only tend to give a sh--, when were pissed.) Most reviews were consistent..complaints about school never having products in stock..staff being rude or incompitent..dirty or broken equipment, and so on. The Regency here, is brand new- therefore the numbers of clients coming in, the amount of students who graduated, and people to seek reviews from, are scarce. They have 8 students on the floor right now, and this will be their first class to graduate.

Thats just a quick look at the pros and cons of each. So please, tell me, HOW am I suppose to make a decision such as this!? Once I think I have my mind made up, I go and change it. I want to work/learn at a nice school that looks inviting and trendy, so that I have a better chance of getting more clients. But I also dont want most of my tuition to go TOWARDS those things that make it trendy-looking. Id rather have it go towards competent and courteous instructors, and an education in general that is more about the art, and not the money. But I also want people to WANT to come in the salon..and not pass it up because it looks outdated. Nor do I want to be bamboozled (yes, bamboozled) by instructors who SEEM nice at first, but then dgaf (ask me if you dont know) once they have my money.

ARRRGGHHHHH!! I. DONT. KNOW.

Perhaps I will go into Excel this week and ask to talk to the instructors. I kind of feel like a toolbag doing that, since Ive already registered...but you gots to do what you gots to do.

Enough complaining.

Heres a makeup tip before I go: Instead of dragging your eyeliner across your lid, try gently penciling in small "dots" of it inbetween your lashes and then blending with a makeup brush or q tip. And DONT EVER, EVER use liquid liner on your lower lash line. ..OR on your upper line, if you cant draw a straight one.

Heres another tip, for good measure (and to balance out all my complaining). When trying to create an arched brow with tweezing, set guidlines with a white eyeliner pencil. Meaning, use the white pencil to draw over the areas you want tweezed, creating a sort of "stencil". This will allow you to visualize what it will look like when tweezed, so that you dont make any mistakes.

Ok people, same place..different time. Hopefully with a decision set in stone!

P.S. I am thinking about doing some theme days (per my sisters great sugesstion) such as: Mondays Makeup, Mondays Mane, Fridays Face, Tuesdays Tresses...you get the point. I want to post the tips and info that is of the most interest, so if you have any suggestions or requests then please leave me some comments! Thanks guys!

EDIT: OMG!! Ok, so this excites me a little! Read the 3rd paragraph! http://www.thebeautyoflifeblog.com/2010/07/first-look-fridays-herbal-essences.html

5 comments:

  1. Oooh- thats cool (that link to that guy stylist).

    I dont have any suggestions about what school to pick. I think its a good idea to go back into Excel and talk to them again- express your concerns. Ask them more about the curriculum and what to expect in the classroom and homework. Ask if they have any plans to make any updates to the salon. Ask them about the kinds of clients to expect (grouchy old ladies? college students? families?).

    Also, find out how much financial aid you can get for the other school. I'll bet with financial aid, it would still be more than Excel. I do love the modern salon feel though- I'll admit its one of the reasons I go to Douglas J instead of Excel (especially for the facials/ pedicures). I know this doesnt help- sorry! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah- and maybe you should add to the eyebrow tip where to start plucking at the insides- I see way to many women whose eyebrows start way too far in!

    And most of those women also need your tip on eyeliner- especially the liquid! So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I applied for financial aid..waiting to hear back. If I can get it close to $10,000 I would be happy. Marie was saying that a friend of hers qualified for around $20,000!!! I dont know HOW that was possible.
    And yeah, I will add more brow tips later. I see alot of ultra thin brows an "tadpole" brows! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tadpole eyebrows- lol! I can think of a few woman I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd go back to the one you're registered at too, and ask some more questions.
    I know it can feel a little funny, but really - you are talking about a LOT of money and time, and you should be sure of your choice!

    ReplyDelete